Since the dawn of online shopping, I have been a frequent customer of Amazon, blogshops and then Gmarket, which is now called Qoo10.
I have been a member of Qoo10 Singapore for maybe 4 years now, and bought countless items be it apparel, accessories, skincare, cosmetics, household items, gifts, and stupidly, even dietary supplements. So far I have not had any major issues from them and even when there are disputes with sellers over wrong/missing/faulty items, the Qoo10 customer service team always successfully mediates to a resolution.
Until now. Recently, I had purchased 2 clutch wallets in pastel colors from a seller in Qoo10 called GOLDEN EGG. However, the parcel I received contained one very ugly wallet, a completely different design which was not even shown on Golden Egg’s catalogue.
I thought, oh well, maybe they mixed up my order with another buyer (with terrible tastes), so I sent them an inquiry to let them know so they could send me the correct items.
Initially they were apologetic and asked me to return the wrong wallet via NORMAL MAIL. This became a crucial mistake on their part. I willingly send off the wallet via normal mail as instructed, which means put in an envelope, address and stamps and dump into the postbox.
After that, GOLDEN EGG asked me for a receipt. If you are following what I’m saying, you would immediately realize: How would there be a receipt for normal mail?
Exactly. But after I reminded them of this, GOLDEN EGG insisted, and I quote, “we will refund to you after we receive your picture of the invoice”
So, they have decided they will not send me the correct items after all, but will also not refund me until they see an invoice which does not exist.
I did not want to keep arguing with these thick-headed morons, so I forwarded it to Qoo10 CS team for help. But not only were they not able to help me, but for a week they repeatedly came back to me asking for a receipt on behalf of that UNETHICAL GOLDEN EGG.
After attempting to reiterate and nicely explain to the Qoo10 idiots, their last reply sent me right over the edge. I will copy and paste this joke of a reply here:
As we have contacted with the seller, seller want you to return the item. Kindly follow the instruction below.
Recipient: goldenegg / Gan y***f*** ( 8*0*7*43)
Address: return to : #1*-18,BLK 5*1 bedok north ave 2 , street 3 , singapore S460501
Go to nearest Singpost office and return the wrong item to seller’s address. Kindly use Registered mail.
Take a picture of the parcel which shows the address part on the packet
Take a picture of the receipt which shows the amount paid for delivery
Kindly reply to us with shipping information with two pictures requested above.
The amount you paid for the delivery will also refunded after we inspect the pictures of receipt and packet.
This above, ONE WEEK AFTER I MAILED THE BLOODY THING OUT. What the hell do they expect me to do, even the post office won’t have a record of it since it’s a normal mail.
I’m seriously pissed. Both Qoo10 and Golden Egg would rather get into legal trouble and also lose a VIP member than to just own up their mistake and take responsibility by refunding a measly $20++. If that is not stupidity in the highest degree, I don’t know what is. They are messing with the wrong customer. The money is just small change to me, but as a good consumer, I will not let them cheat me of a single cent.
If the above is too much for you to follow, here’s the summary:
- I ordered 2 wallet clutches from Golden Egg, a seller in Qoo10 Singapore online marketplace.
- I received 1 wallet in a different design. It is ugly and I would not even be caught dead using it.
- I informed Golden Egg, they asked me to please return it by normal mail.
- Right away, I followed their instruction and sent it out via normal mail, i.e. not registered.
- I informed Golden Egg that I will be travelling soon and could they please send me the 2 clutches I ordered?
- Golden Egg replied that they will refund me once they see a picture of the receipt.
- I informed them that there is no receipt for sending normal mail.
- Golden Egg replied again that they will refund me once they see a picture of the receipt. This is the first sign that indicated to me this seller is irresponsible, hopeless and selectively illiterate.
- I reminded them again that there is no invoice for sending normal mail, and they should not punish their customers for their (seller’s) own mistakes.
- I gave up liaising with them, and also they did not reply anymore.
- I turned to the Qoo10 Customer Service team who is responsible for mediating such cases, and showed them the conversation with the seller. They told me they will contact the seller and look into it.
- Qoo10 came back, asking me for the receipt.
- I explained to them clearly about the whole concept of normal mail.
- Qoo10 replied, asking me for the receipt. This indicated to me that Qoo10 CS team is also made up of idiots.
- Patience running low, but I still replied nicely but firmly that there is no receipt.
- Qoo10 replied giving me a step-by-step on how to mail out the wrong item and get the receipt. A tad too late for that, don’t you think?
- I replied telling them it is too late.
- Qoo10 replied, “Okay. May we have the receipt?” This completely proved that they may have been handling this case while their eyes were glued to a screen watching Spongebob or something equally mindless.
- I replied, praying it was the last time, and wrote in point-form about normal mail and non-existent receipts. I also informed them that I don’t mind bringing this to court. There SHOULD be a court for this, right? If not for the CHEATING then for their stupidity. It HAS to be a crime for people to be voluntarily stupid.
- Waiting for their next, hopefully sane, reply.